Today was a very exciting day for Caleb and me. We both got new bikes!! Caleb has joined the tri-train and is planning to compete in his first ironkids in September. He had out grown his old bike so today he got a very nice upgrade! This bike should last him until high school... unless he turns out to be a super giant. I have not had a bike since college. I have not ridden a bike since college. So today was exciting!! At the risk of sounding like a moron (but just to let you know my inexperience)... My last bike had gears but to be honest I never knew which one did what. As I came in from my test drive Jake asked if I had tested the gears. I gave him a strange stare and said how do I do that? I knew which levers to push but which ones do what?? So I took another lap around the building and tried it out... I tested the gears, I could feel them doing something and it felt good. I knew with this bike I could finally figure it all out. So when we got home I took off up the hill... shifting the gears... but wait what's going on... ooops... I was shifting the wrong way!! So I had to get off my bike and push it. Oh well, I am learning. So I go back down the hill, turn around and start back up. Shifting the gears correctly this time and WOW I made it up the hill without having to get off my bike!!I can't wait to get out and ride some more. My bike is called a Hybrid. It is a mix between a road and a mountain bike. It's tires are made to be fast on the road but they still have traction to handle off road conditions. It also has a coil-sprung fork to make the off road rides a little easier. I was excited to find a bike like this because I will need the road speed for my triathlon but I love the idea that I can take it on trails (Melydia get your bike ready!!). Now Jana, I am not ready for a group ride but at least I have a bike now!!
Jake will be riding with his new clip shoes this weekend. Clip shoes are shoes that clip to the peddles for maximum efficiency. He was already pretty fast without them so I can't wait to see what he can do with his shoes.
No comments:
Post a Comment