Today was my first 5k and I finished better than I expected... 32:53!! The event was hosted by www.savinthegirls.com and was part of the Atlanta 2 Day Walk for Breast Cancer. It was held at Yahoola Creek Park in Dahlonega. This was their first year to host this race and they were very surprised by the turnout; close to 200 participants! Yahoola Creek Park was a great course for my first 5k. It was relatively level and had a nice section that went through a trail in the woods (I wish the whole thing could have been in the woods). I finished my first mile in 9:18 which I am pretty sure that was a record for me. I am not sure about the second mile because the marker was put in the wrong spot but my average was 10:16 per mile... a whole lot better than I expected! As I crossed the finish line I was not even thinking about my time all I could think was "I did it!!". Thankfully I have a coach for a husband who kept an eye and a camera on the timer... and he got me in the picture as well. But this is not all of my story for the day.
While I was running Jake signed the kids up for the 1 mile fun run. We are 2 adult and 3 kids. Caleb wanted to run fast so Jake said he would run with him. I knew Taryn would just run/walk it so I would stay with her. So what about Taylor? Taylor will run in between us and if he needed to stop then he could and then he could finish with Taryn and me. So what happens when Jake and Caleb are at the 1 mile finish line when Taryn and I get there but no sign of Taylor??? It was a pretty easy to follow course so HOW could he just disappear?? The event volunteers got on their phones and started the search. They were thinking they saw him finish with the group of boys who were already done so a nice man drove me and Taryn up to the 5k finish line area. I am thinking how could he finish before Jake and Caleb? We get to the 5k finish area and there he was! I had never been so scared!!! So the relief I felt when I saw him almost brought tears to my eyes but I held back. I had to make sure he was ok and I did not want to scare him. I said "Taylor, did you finish the race?" he shook his head yes, "Were you scared that you did not see us?" he shook his head yes again and then whimpered for like 3 seconds and then said, "Do I get an award or something?". He did not even know he was lost!! He knew the finish line was was across the bridge... what mommy and daddy did not know is that there were 2 bridges! He took the first bridge which took him to the 5k finish line. He was smart enough to find a place to stand and wait for us. He even said, "Mommy I heard them say my name on the microphone." He did not know why they were saying his name so he just waited for mommy and daddy to finish the race. I really think he thought he won the race. Our silly Taylor boy! I am just so glad that he was ok and not scared!!
Since Taylor did not really finish the race we don't have a time for him... but I know he would have been fast! Caleb finished in 8:25!! Since I was in a panic when Taryn finished I did not think to ask for her time but it was probably around 12 or 13 minutes. She won the girls 10 and under division... haha! She really did :) She was the only girl that ran the 1 mile fun run. Caleb was probably 4th out of 8. The other boys were probably around 10 except for Taylor and a baby boy being pushed in a stroller.
Overall it was a GREAT day. I bet you next year they will take the 1 mile a little more seriously with extra volunteers placed to make sure no wrong turns are taken. They were surprised that we came all the way from Dalton but it was an excellent cause to support and it was a beautiful course so I thought it was worth the drive.
No comments:
Post a Comment