It was exciting to be able to drop the kids off and to know they were having a blast but even more exciting was what we got to do while they were making new friends. We were divided, men and women, into small groups called huddles. I was in a huddle with other coaches wives who are also stay at home moms. It was great to be able to share time with these wonderful Christian women. Jake was off doing his male bonding with a great group of men. They had some great Bible study time... Jake took a lot away from their daily discussions. The greatest surprise for Jake was that every day they had a period of competition... huddle vs. huddle... football, wiffle ball, kick ball, and Jake's favorite... volleyball.
I say it was the greatest surprise for Jake but I was just as excited. The women had a choice; walking, aerobics, or competition. The first day I was unsure and I ended up following a very happy lady (who happened to be from Chattanooga) to aerobics... she just had a glow about her that I wanted to get to know a bit better. Well, "Praise Aerobics" is no place to get to know someone. The instructor was tough! I have to admit that I have never been in an aerobics class before. This was the most intense workout I have had in years... and I LOVED every minute of it!! Well, maybe I was not loving it when my leg felt like someone set it on fire but it was a temporary pain that only made me feel stronger in the end. I have to admit that being in a room full of "Praise" posters really helped me fight through the pain. Well, I wanted to go back the next day to see how much tougher it could get but I found out that the competition was going to be volleyball. Great fun. The team I was on did not win but for some reason the other women thought that I had played volleyball somewhere? I was not that good but I guess I was better than most out there. Their comments really made me feel good about my "un-athletic" self :) Then the next day came and I went back out to see what I could do in the competition. Turns out the game of the day, Thursday, was Football! Do you know how excited I was about this? I had not played football since Phi Lambda in 2000! Football was awesome. I caught passes, two-hand tackled, sprinted down the field, intercepted. The other team was pointing at me saying watch out for Lisa she's tricky... she's fast. A field full of former college athletes and coaches... They made me feel special. I know Jake had fun... he is a naturally gifted athlete. For people to say things to me like I was actually an athlete? It just topped of the already great week we were having.
This past week was amazing. I look back at the photos and I want to go back but I look forward to this week. Now that we are home I can put all of my renewed knowledge to work for God.
To see larger photos or if you are unable to view the slide show above... follow the link below. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisadickey/sets/72157606019479034/
1 comment:
What a cool camp! It looks so beautiful, I just love old trees filled with spanish moss. I'm so glad that you were all so encouraged!
Post a Comment